Resumé of Tom Brooks | Content Writer
• BA, Journalism, Baylor University, 1972
• MA, Journalism, Kiplinger Program of Public Affairs Reporting, Ohio State University, 1976
• Internet Marketing Certificate: In progress at Collin College
United Press International: 1972-1984
Responsibilities included reporting, writing and editing all types of news stories ranging from sports (high school, college and pro) to state and national government. The final four years with UPI were spent marketing and selling the services.
• 1972-1977: Reporter and Editor for United Press International in bureau cities of Albuquerque, NM; Cheyenne, WY; Dallas, TX; and New Orleans, LA. Tom was granted a leave from UPI from the 1975-’76 school year to obtain a master’s degree from the Kiplinger Program of Public Affairs Reporting at Ohio State University.
• 1977-1979: Bureau Manager and State News Editor for UPI in Alabama, based in Birmingham, AL. Responsible for bureau operations and personnel in Birmingham and Montgomery bureaus and all news coverage in Alabama.
• 1980-1984: Regional Sales Executive for south Texas and Southwest Division Sales Manager for United Press International, based in Dallas.
Owner and operator of Alphagraphics in Richardson, TX, a print, design and marketing services company. Tom was the owner and manager, overseeing all print and design operations. The company expanded into marketing services in later years, adding direct mail, advertising specialties and content marketing to its line of products.
Jan. 2014 – Present:. Owner/Operator of TommyWrites. Tom is a freelance writer and copy writer serving the greater Dallas-Plano-Richardson area. He specializes in web content, email newsletters, blogs, press releases, ghost writing and virtually any type of business writing.
Tom has been active in numerous ways in his community, including:
- Past President, Richardson East Rotary Club
- Graduate of Leadership Richardson, Class XXVII
- Graduate of Leadership Plano, Class VI
- Member, Leadership Richardson Advisory Board, Chair of Recruitment Committee
- Elder, Grace Presbyterian Church, Plano
- Public Relations Chair, Richardson East Rotary
- Richardson Real Heroes board member, public relations chair
- Past sponsor and donor to multiple charitable organizations, including Network of Community Ministries, Richardson Adult Literacy, Richardson East RotaryClub, Richardson Woman’s Club, Camp Summit.
1208 Syracuse Circle · Plano, TX 75075 · 214-415-2551 · email: firstname.lastname@example.org